CHARLOTTE, N.C. – April 14, 2010 – More than 250 attendees viewed 22 new startups compete for fame and over $100,000 in cash and high-quality professional services. Entrepreneurs competed in the following five sectors:
J. Chris Murphy Students
• WINNER - nKind Rewards Network, (UNC Chapel Hill) – Builds sustainable communities by rewarding people for their individual good deeds and helping businesses to connect with communities via an innovative, high-impact marketing channel.
• SECOND PLACE – Whinot, LLC, (University of Virginia / UNC Charlotte) – Streamlines consulting engagements for businesses through a web-based portal and creates an efficient way to access freelance consultants on a “pay-per-sip” basis.
• THIRD PLACE - MyShop, (UNC Charlotte) – A service center for cars that enables do-it-yourself owners access to high-end equipment such as lifts and specialized power tools.
Green Tech / Energy
• WINNER - BioRxn, (Chapel Hill, NC) - Will develop, manufacture and service proprietary bioreactors for the pork industry that will allow farmers to compete and capture a portion of the growing renewable energy market.
• RUNNER-UP - Bio-Energy Conversion Global, (Locust, NC) – Has developed a proprietary type of pyrolysis gasification which can utilize a wide variety of organic and synthetic feedstocks, including, but not limited to coal, Municipal Solid Waste (MSW), tires, biomass, animal waste, oil sludge, bio-solids and medical waste.
Service / Retail
• WINNER - All Sports Endurance, (Charlotte, NC) – Provides a unique electrolyte supplement called Hylytes – the only such supplement approved for consumption in all major professional sports, including the PGA and LPGA Tours, MLB, the NFL, and the NHL.
• RUNNER-UP - Arctic, Inc. (Clemmons, NC) – Developed the first green selective post-emergent herbicide called Frostbite™ that kills summer weeds and crabgrass with a non-toxic frost, leaving no residue or run-off.
Information Technology / Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)
• WINNER - STASH Games, (Charlotte, NC) – Provides a platform for a role-playing adventure games that can be accessed though any GPS-enabled smartphone.
• RUNNER-UP – Eyes Software, Inc., (Charlotte, NC) – A service designed to protect teens online and gives customers value through; Time Savings, Teen Internet Independence, Risk Identification, Customization and Single Space Parent Monitoring.
• WINNER - TactileMED, Inc., (Charlotte, NC) – Improves the quality and reduces the cost of patient care by designing, manufacturing and marketing patient-specific anatomical models and cranial / craniofacial implants. The goal is to ultimately develop a “smart device” which will act as both a medical device and a drug delivery system.
• RUNNER-UP - Restorative Physiology Group, LLC, (Charleston, SC) – Designs and developments implantable devices for the human spine. We have developed a proprietary method that allows placement of surgical implants that are significantly larger than the access required to place them.
Wednesday April 14, 2010